Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mexican Hot Pumpkin Seeds

What do you mean you already threw 'em in the trash and put the trash out and the garbage men came? Don't you know you're supposed to reserve them in a carryout container with a little clingy goo still attached and never get around to cleaning them or roasting them and after a couple of weeks when people start asking if that's your kid's science experiment or some sort of DIY terrarium gone horribly wrong, THEN (reluctantly) throw them out? To everything there is a season, turn, turn, turn.

So either carve yourself another jack o lantern (and I mean pronto, Mister) or clip n' save this recipe for Halloween ought-seven.

(dang! I can't get the picture to post and it's in focus too. Until I figure it out, here's a visual aid.

Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

Scoop your pumpkin, adhering to the instructions at the top of this page. Pick and rinse free of stringy goo, then blot dry(ish) with paper towels.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter, combine with one tablespoon of olive oil, and annoint the seeds, to symbolically honor all the labor that has thusfar gone into this quixotic snack quest.

Salt them as mercilessly as you would an avenging slug.

I don't know if you've met my good friend, Pam? My mother always thought she was trashy, but she's helped me out of many a tight spot, so if she wants to get it on with my cookie sheet, I'm like, Pam, honey, you have my blessing.

Spread your seeds across the sheet like some hormone-demented fourteen-year-old boy. (Lucky Pam!)

You have the option to bail out at this point, shove the cookie sheet into a 350 oven, or I suppose, the trash, go to the gas station and get yourself a packet of Uncle Jesse's, but if you've got a sense of adventure, a tendency to fuck things up, and a hankering for Mexican Hot Chocolate, take my hand.

Grate some a bar or tablet of Mexican Chocolate (not the one with the sweet looking old lady on the box - it's owned by Nestle's - and not the whole bar, just enough to sprinkle over the seeds). I used that little plastic doohickey that I bought to grate ginger and it reduced it to a fine powder, suitable for snorting. (Do leave a comment to tell me how that goes.)

Now sprinkle some cayenne over the seeds. A little goes a long way, so this is one not to put up your nose.

Roast them in that 350 oven, stirring every couple of minutes, until they're starting to brown up a bit.

Serve with a beverage or five, but not to my husband 'coz he started hating on 'em after Seed Number Three. I should've married the bunny.






The The visual post-mortem of Halloween '06 continues. I was worried that Inky's costume might offend, but popularity-wise, it rivalled the Recycling Fairy.

5 Comments:

Blogger karrie said...

Oh, fuck this is funny stuff.

Thank you!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now...if it weren't for Nestle*, I wouldn't have this laptop to read your blog on, which I really like, BTW. I know, I know, say it with cash and buy your books. But that will require more Nestle paychecks, as long as you're ok with that. Their Swiss chocolate (ie: Cailler) is actually very good, never tried the Mexican stuff, though, so I can't vouch for it. Just curious, is this a formula/3rd world boycott?

p.s. loved the Frida Kahlo outfit, we even named our dachshund Frida, I like her work so much.

*DH works for Purina (a subsidiary)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie J. Rosenbaum said...

Yum! I love the idea of chocolate and cayenne. I already ate all my pumpkin seeds (with salt and smoked paprika) but next year...Loved Inky's ciggie girl costume--but you know, I was the very same thing when I was a kid one year, and little did I know I would be doing that as my JOB for real some 15 years later.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Butter and oil? What a great idea. The whole reason I love roasted pumpkin seeds is how crispy and oily they are when they're done. With added butter, they'll be even better! Too bad I'll have to wait till I crack open another pumpkin...

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inky's costume is fabulous! And you're pretty awesome yourelf.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home